|West-Wagner Homestead ★ Old Sweet Home
This house and barn are as built in 1875 by George Washington West and
his wife Kittie. Raised in Sweet Home, minutes from Shiner, George West
is renowned as an ‘empire builder, pioneer cattleman, and colonizer of
Southwest Texas.’ At age 16, George was the first man to successfully
drive 14,000 head of Longhorn cattle to Montana, through hostile Indian
territory, without the loss of one soul. This oldest and last surviving
ranching headquarters in Lavaca County is complete with an original
mortised and pegged barn built of native cypress and pine. On part of
the West’s 200,000 acre ranch, Mr. West also founded the town of George
West, which lies southeast of Shiner.
He is considered one of the most important cattleman of the southwest,
and a prominent developer of the Texas cattle industry.
|Wendtland Building (Raintree Florist) ★ 209 E.
Young immigrant William Wendtland was the insightful builder of one of
Shiner’s well-known landmarks, the Shiner Opera House, in 1895. He then
went on to build the Wendtland Mercantile next door to the Opera House.
The beautifully maintained building is now home to The
Raintree Florist and Gift Shop.
|Kasper House B & B / Old Kasper House
★ 305 N. Avenue C|
This house was erected in 1906 by John F. Kasper, an active businessman
and homebuilder in the Shiner community. Today this restored home is a
Bed & Breakfast owned by the Hank Novak family.
Peachtree Emporium ★ 123 E. 7th Street
A locally renowned apron collector, Ms. Helweg has a collection that
encompasses old and new, unique and hand-made, crocheted and pieced –
you name it! – examples of a functional art form that has served
generations of ‘domestic engineers.’ All are shown at the historic
originally the Wolters Bros. Dry Goods Store (first operating at
present location in 1883). The building now houses the extensive
private collection of Jean Welhausen Kaspar, and is set up for
An added attraction this year in the Peachtree is a private collection
of aprons collected by Virginia Helweg. She owns approximately 700
and has been featured in numerous articles and the Mary Jane magazine.
|E. Wolters / Mikulik Home ★ 221 N.
Built in 1893 by Edmund F. Wolters, who directed the building of
bridges leading to town and served as alderman and mayor of Shiner. Mr.
Wolters was the president of Shiner Oil Mill & Manufacturing
and Yoakum Gin & Feed, vice president of Southern Lloyds
Insurance Company, and vice president and director of First National
Bank of Shiner for 42 years.
|Hoehne-Ehlers Home ★ 216 N. AvenueH|
Herein was Shiner’s education system born, as conducted in German by
Professor John Hoehne. When the schoolhouse was moved in 1894, Louis
Ehlers chose this site for his home and cigar factory (now a museum on
E Street). The home has been passed down through the Ehlers family for
over 100 years.
|Pokluda Classic Car Collection ★ 803
N. Avenue E|
Spend some time at the Shiner Motor Sales Building and admire this
popular, classic car collection!